This is pretty much my idea of a perfect meal after playing in the snow all day. Warm, hearty, and creamy (without the cream!). I like to consider it healthified Cheesy Broccoli Soup. The potatoes help make it heartier and the chicken adds some protein to round out the meal. If you're like me and love your carbs, add some rolls or breadsticks and it's pretty much perfection in a bowl.
Cheesy Chicken & Vegetable Soup
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, washed and cubed
- 3 cups broccoli florets, in bite sized pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese sharp cheddar or colby jack are our favorites here
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Saute onion in olive oil over medium-high heat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add carrots and saute for 2 minutes. Add potatoes, broccoli, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and let simmer until veggies are tender, about 10-15 minutes depending on how soft you like them. Add in cooked chicken, if desired
- While veggies are simmering, in a medium-sized saucepan, make a roux by melting the butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook for 1 minute. While stirring, gradually add milk. Allow it to come to a boil and thicken. Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir the cheesy roux into your simmering veggies. Season to taste and serve immediately.