Last week I was supposed to bring a dessert to a BBQ. I didn't have any regular chocolate chips on hand and I was talking to Leesh on the phone about what to make. I did have white chocolate chips and some mini-chocolate chips. Leesh mentioned the yummy Orange Creamsicle Cookies she posted a few years back, but I didn't have any oranges. But I had lots of lemons, so I was thinking I could just do them with lemon, but then I decided that I really wanted some dark chocolate in there. I'm not a huge fan or white chocolate, it's so sweet. I do love it in those orange creamsicle cookies though - but dark chocolate will always have my heart! Forever and ever!
So I found a cookie recipe I'd been wanting to try and then switched it up to make these dreamy lemon chocolate chunk cookies! They were to die for. I mean, I thought they'd be good, but I was kind of blown away by how good they were. I took 2 dozen to the BBQ and they were gone before I could even load up my plate full of a burger and salads. So I guess that speaks for itself.
I did save some at home though for myself, cause I'm selfish like that. I've had a few people ask for the recipe, so I wanted to share it soon! I hope you'll love it too! I've been on a huge lemon kick lately. I had this lemon cheesecake (holy yum! so dreamy!) for my birthday a few weeks ago - and we had lemon meringue for my husband's birthday just before that. Whenever I see something lemon it catches my eye.
These cookies will be baking on repeat around here. If you can't stop by, you'll have to make some!
I hope you'll enjoy them too!
Lemon Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup butter (I used salted), at room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
¼ cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 teaspoon lemon extract or 2-3 drops of lemon oil
Zest of 1 lemon
⅓ cup white chocolate chips
½ cup mini-chocolate chips ( *see note below)
Notes: You can really use all white or all chocolate chips if you’d like. If you use the regular size do at least 1 cup total of chocolate chips. I feel like the mini ones go a bit further than the regular sized ones.
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line baking sheets with parchment or silicone baking mats, or grease them lightly if you don’t have those.
2. In a large bowl mix together the flour, cornstarch, soda and salt with a wire whisk until combined and set aside.
3. In a stand mixer bowl add the butter and sugars and mix on low until creamy, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the egg, vanilla and lemon extracts or oil and the zest and mix until combined.
4. Add the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Add the chocolate chips and mix one last time.
5. Shape cookies into round balls by the tablespoon full, and place on the prepared baking sheets, leaving at least 2 inches between each cookie. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden brown. Remove from oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes (they will cook a bit more as they cool). If you bake them til they are browned all over they will be dry and crumbly. Remove cookies from the baking sheets and let them cool on a wire rack completely.
Used this cookie recipe, and altered it to make it lemony and chocolaty.